Or, alternatively, My Bucket List. Or maybe Goals? It’s a mix.
I decided to publish the things I want to do before I die in the hopes of starting conversations about them. Maybe you have suggestions, have done a few things and can tell the story, or even find inspiration for your own ideas here!
Here are several lists. First, the things I definitely want to do or accomplish at some point in my life, second, things I think could be cool but wouldn’t prioritize, and lastly, the items I once had on my bucket list but managed to check off at some point in the past.
I have sorted these roughly by how eager I am for them.
🪣 Things I Definitely Want to Do
- 🏃 Run a full marathon in less than three hours.
- 🇳🇿 Return to New Zealand and stay for at least one year.
- 🏜️ Qualify for and finish the Western States 100 Endurance Run.
- 💕 Do a multi-day bike tour just with Sophie on the in-laws’ tandem racing bike.
- 💂 Swim the English Channel (32-45 kilometers depending on the tides).
- 🚬 Run one lap of the Barkley Marathons in Tennessee on my own.
- 🤹 Learn how to juggle with three balls for a minimum of 60 seconds.
- 🚐 Buy a Sprinter-type van and convert it into a comfy mobile home, tour Europe.
- 💯 Run a foot race of 100 miles length.
- 🏔️ Qualify for and finish the Ultra Trail du Mont-Blanc.
- 🥁 Record a full drum cover video and put it on Youtube.
- 🚴♂️ Beat my buddy Kristian’s Otterndorf Triathlon best time of 1:08:18 hours.
🗒️ Things I Think Are Cool But Don’t Prioritize
- 📈 Sustainably grow my company to 10 employees.
- 🤙 Qualify for and finish the IRONMAN Hawaii in Kailua-Kona.
- ⚓️ Get a small tattoo.
- 🥵 Finish the Badwater 135 Ultramarathon in Death Valley, CA, USA with my kids crewing.
- 🇩🇪 Run a marathon in all 16 federal states of Germany.
- 🚰 Do water-only food fasting for at least 24 hours.
- 🗽 Run the New York City marathon race.
- 🥾 Hike or run Germany from North to South (List on Sylt to Haldenwanger Eck, Oberstorf).
- 🩸 Donate blood.
- 🏊 Swim the Fehmarn Belt from Germany to Denmark (25-30 kilometers depending on the tides).
- 🇿🇦 Run the Comrades Marathon and/or the Two Oceans Marathon in South Africa.
- ☮️ Run Berliner Mauerweglauf (100 miles) along the former Berlin Wall.
✅ Things Which Were on My List and Are Now Ticked Off
🗑️ Honorable Mentions That Got Scrapped
- 🚣 Cross the Atlantic in a pedal boat from Hamburg to New York City
- ❄️ Hike or ski the Antarctic from McMurdo to Scott Amundsen South Pole Station (1,600km)
- 🏍️ Travel through India on a motorbike
- 🛻 Travel through Africa in a Jeep
- 🇰🇵 Visit North Korea
- 🚴♂️ Cross the USA on a bike, e.g. as part of Race Across America
- 🏊 Swim the Midmar Mile in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
- 🏃 Finish all 6 World Marathon Majors (Berlin ✅, London ✅, NYC, Boston, Chicago, Tokyo)
- 🐠 Swim the Ocean’s Seven:
- North Channel: Scotland & Ireland, 35 km
- Cook Strait: North Island & South Island, New Zealand, 23 km
- Molokai Channel: also Kaiwi Channel, Molokai & Oahu Islands, Hawaii, USA, 42 km
- Catalina Channel: Los Angeles & Santa Catalina, USA, 32 km
- Tsugaru Strait: Honshu & Hokkaido, Japan, 19.5 km
- Strait of Gibraltar: Spain & Morocco, 14.3 km
- English Channel: Great Britain & France, 32.3 km
- 🇫🇷 Bike Paris-Brest-Paris on the racing tandem with Sophie
- 🏝️ Travel the South Sea island states
- 🇸🇪 Vätternrundan cycling race in Sweden, 300 km around Lake Vättern
- 🎿 Vasaloppet, 90km cross-country skiing race
- ⛰️ Cycle the Argus Race in South Africa, 110 km
- 🇮🇸 Run Reykjavík Marathon
- 🥶 Run Polar Circle Marathon in Greenland
- 💯 Run the famous 100 km von Biel in Switzerland
- 🔩 Run the Tortour de Ruhr: 230 km of running from the source of Ruhr river to its end at Rhein river near Duisburg
- 🇹🇷 Swim the Bosporus: Europe to Asia, 3.8 km
- ⛳ Run a marathon in another new country to get my country count up to an even 30
- ⛰️ Run the Kepler Challenge, New Zealand, 60 km
- 🌳 Run Paris Eco Trail, 80 km
- 🌊 Swim from Norderney to Germany, 10 km